Re: Extending Companion Pass

Moises885
Explorer C

We are on the same boat. I hope we get an update on this

dfwskier
Aviator A

@soxfan82 wrote:

Matt4202, I can tell you that I’ve made this exact request  to SWA on Twitter PM and was rejected outright, although they did say they’d take it under consideration, whatever that means. 

So then I contacted them over email, and currently I haven’t gotten a concrete response, just that it’s been passed along to the customer team.

Honestly I’m surprised because it’s simply the equally fair thing to do, and generally I can count on SWA to do the fair thing. 

With all that is going on, do you really expect Southwest to drop everything to address  a situation that won't even exist for more than 20 months?

If you do, you are not very realistic.

soxfan82
Adventurer C

Dfwskier, you have a point in that it won't really matter for a while. But hopefully when that time comes, it does get addressed. It's not like this is some major radical overhaul of the policy that takes a whole lot of brainpower to fix...it's just addressing a hole in the current one by giving the same benefit to existing 2020 CP earners that 2019 CP earners are getting.

Anyway you may be right. We'll see. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suspect that Southwest will address it at some point.

At the moment Southwest and all airlines are just trying to figure out how to survive. If they don't figure out how to do that, companion pass questions are moot.

garcjesu
Explorer C

So I too sent an email to Southwest just now. This is what I told them.

Hi! So this year I have earned the companion pass, and I have noticed that you guys extended the expiration date until June 30th of 2021, however, I still haven't traveled because of Covid and it looks like we are back in quarantine, at least in CA. It is already August and travel is still being altered by many states by forcing us travelers to self quarantine for 2 weeks in their state, which means we cannot do anything there. As a loyal customer and a Companion pass holder, I believe what is fair is that the pass should be extended all the way through next year as well, just like the A-list status. I am disappointed that you guys only extended it through June 30th.

Another thing; if we earn the companion pass, through points, is it only going to be for the rest of the 6 months of 2021? Or is it going to follow through June 30th, 2022? It wouldn't make any sense if we only "earned" until December 31st of 2021, since we are owed the first half of the year.

I have worked way too hard to earn the companion pass for this year and for the following year for it to have been a waste of my loyal time. What is fair is if you guys extended our Companion pass until the end of 2021, and if we have earned the companion pass for next year, have it expire the last day of 2022.

Please get back at me and please forward this to the board of directors as this needs to be heard from me and everyone that have worked super hard to be loyal to Southwest, and support them as our ONLY airline to fly with.

Southwest has always been a great company with great customer service, so I am sure they will do the right thing when it comes to being fair with their loyal customers.

bec102896
Aviator A

@garcjesu wrote:

So I too sent an email to Southwest just now. This is what I told them.

Hi! So this year I have earned the companion pass, and I have noticed that you guys extended the expiration date until June 30th of 2021, however, I still haven't traveled because of Covid and it looks like we are back in quarantine, at least in CA. It is already August and travel is still being altered by many states by forcing us travelers to self quarantine for 2 weeks in their state, which means we cannot do anything there. As a loyal customer and a Companion pass holder, I believe what is fair is that the pass should be extended all the way through next year as well, just like the A-list status. I am disappointed that you guys only extended it through June 30th.

Another thing; if we earn the companion pass, through points, is it only going to be for the rest of the 6 months of 2021? Or is it going to follow through June 30th, 2022? It wouldn't make any sense if we only "earned" until December 31st of 2021, since we are owed the first half of the year.

I have worked way too hard to earn the companion pass for this year and for the following year for it to have been a waste of my loyal time. What is fair is if you guys extended our Companion pass until the end of 2021, and if we have earned the companion pass for next year, have it expire the last day of 2022.

Please get back at me and please forward this to the board of directors as this needs to be heard from me and everyone that have worked super hard to be loyal to Southwest, and support them as our ONLY airline to fly with.

Southwest has always been a great company with great customer service, so I am sure they will do the right thing when it comes to being fair with their loyal customers.

As of now if you earned the companion pass this year you will have the rest of the this year to use your pass as well as all of 2021. If you earned your pass in 2019 you have until the end of June 2021 to use your companion pass. With the virus ongoing more changes could be made so keep an eye on your email for any updates that may be made. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@soxfan82 wrote:

Specifically regarding the companion pass, I hope Southwest will consider extending it thru part of 2022 for those of us who earned it this year before COVID-19. They exteneded it thru June 30, 2021  - but people in my situation already earned it thru the end of 2021 but have been unable to use it. Southwest usually does the right thing so I assume they will here, too. 

If you keep flying and earn it again it won't matter, it will continually roll over.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

garcjesu
Explorer C

Southwest has extended the companion pass for an additional 6 months! However, I wonder what they will do to those that had their companion pass extended and also reached the points milestone that had earned them the companion pass for an additional year. There's no way that they will just allow it to overlap each-other and make it seem like the newly earned pass was non-existent. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@garcjesu wrote:

Southwest has extended the companion pass for an additional 6 months! However, I wonder what they will do to those that had their companion pass extended and also reached the points milestone that had earned them the companion pass for an additional year. There's no way that they will just allow it to overlap each-other and make it seem like the newly earned pass was non-existent. 

People that earned a 2018 CP in 2017, and a 2019 CP in 2018 had    overlaps for at least part of 2018. Same thing with A-List and A-List preferred. "Overlaps" happen all the time.

I'll earn A-List (for about the 10th straight year) before 7/1/21, and will have an "overlap" from then till the end of 2021. I have an overlap every year. I'm not complaining.

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah,  ironic that giving people a year to gain status, and then giving them the rest of the current year free,  as a bonus,  has created this conundrum.   If there were never any overlap,  people would feel less cheated. 

And I wish there weren't three threads on the same topic