Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Respect for passengers who purchase Early Bird boarding

Maadi
Explorer C

I appreciate SWA offering the Early Bird option.  I always purchase Early Bird boarding for the chance to get a better seat and the best shot at overhead bin space.  I don't mind paying the fee.  However, I do mind when I board in the A group and find my preferred (forward) seating being "saved" by an earlier A group boarder for someone in a B or C boarding group.  This occurred three times on two very recent flights, and it should not be allowed.  Another A group customer challenged one of the seat-savers and asked the FA to require the saver relinquish the seat he was "saving for his wife," but the FA said there was no SWA policy regarding the saving of seats.  Astonishing!  Sure enough, the wife came aboard late in the C group and was seated in a prime location.  This is completely unfair to those who purchase the Early Bird option.  There should be no saving of seats.  SWA should have a clear policy on this and should empower FAs to enforce it.  Thank you.       

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Respect for passengers who purchase Early Bird boarding

dfwskier
Aviator A

As you were told there is no seat saving policy. 

I suspect there is none for the reason you experienced. It allows family members who happen to have different boarding positions to sit together.

It isn't as if they could reserve seats together...

You could tell SW that you want to have the  <lack of> fpolicy changed. Here's how to do that

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

gsking
Aviator C

I'm curious what you define as a "better seat".  You're not getting stuck in a middle seat,  are you?   

And paying for overhead bin space seems silly to me.   Checked bags are free and don't get scrutinized by TSA to the same degree. 

I'm not following the logic,  sorry. 

mrsstats
Adventurer C

I agree with you.  Swa will say you can just sit in that empty seat but who wants to do that and be stuck next to a angry person.  

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@mrsstats You can have any 'available' seat. Available isn't defined by Southwest.

keasbey
Adventurer C

Totally agree with you, you should get what you pay for 

Southwest isn't in the business of delivering that. Would recommend literally any other airline so you don't have to deal with their "quirks" , sincr Southwest decides to identify their flaws as such.