Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Wifi not working

New Arrival

I normally value my time too much to do this, but I am really frustrated with Southwest Wifi. I enjoy everything about southwest other than the last few flights I have been on, they apologize and say sorry the wifi is not working. 

when I select a mid-day flight it is because there is Wifi and I can work while traveling.

I am not sure why the reason for recent consistent outage but it really in unprofessional to have this happen so regularly. 

Honestly it is enough to make me want to switch airlines. 

fix it please. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Wifi not working

Rising Star

Strange, I've never been on a flight where wi-fi was completely out of service - then again, I rarely pay for it and typically only use the Southwest site / app for the free movies, music, etc. You do need to be connected to wi-fi to use it, and it's always worked for me. Just worked on my flight last week. You can always contact Southwest directly and voice this concern, but in my opinion, wi-fi is pretty much at the bottom of the list of things I care about when choosing an airline. 

--Jessica

Highlighted

To both of you!  I understand the issue with WIFI is important to some people.  But as I write this comment I'm having issues with my on the ground home WIFI, it just happens.  I know nothing about the WIFI world, I find it amazing that it can even happen, let alone on an airplane.  I don't often buy the wifi either, but have in the past and mostly do it if I'm on flight that are two hours or more and I have another connecting flight with a two hour flight.  I have been on a flight where it was, "completely out of service."  Just like the old days before this electronic world, I found a way to occupy my time without it. 

Highlighted

Top Contributor

I always pretend it won't be available and bring a USB drive with any key files as I never plan for VPN to work. 

I do like to check email and other similar browsing activity when it is available. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

New Arrival

Did it ever occur to you during this observation you are experiencing the miracle of flight? Seems more appropriate to discuss how amazing this entire experience is!

Highlighted

New Arrival

I too rely upon Wi-Fi on flights during working hours. Most of the time it works great... but, there is no guarantee. I don't know the underlying technology that allows me to use Wi-Fi at 38,000 feet... but, I've got to assume it's rather complex - so, I tend to be more forgiving to airlines than I am for my home internet provider. 

I was an American Airlines weekly flier and their system would cut out 1 hour offshore. I am much happier with SWA's Wi-Fi performance.  

Highlighted

New Arrival

It's been a long day for me so maybe I shouldn't be posting something at the end of the day, but in reading the replies to this post I can't help but chime in. Southwest is sort of known for bad wifi. Be a naysayer all you want, but, ultimately, they really are kind of known for poor wifi.  So much so that I have read frequent posts in various places throughout social media that SWA travelers who are are A list don't  feel the need to strive for the perk of A list preferred in order to get free wifi. Google "Is Southwest wifi worth it?" You will find lots of fun comments 🙂

I have the SWA business credit card that compensates for wifi so I use it faithfully every trip I take, but frequently, like today, it was very spotty. I didn't have a lot to be accomplished, thankfully.  But, yes, wifi is an issue on SWA. Will it stop me from flying SWA? NO. Never. I love SWA. I just know that when I board wifi really is a toss up.